Debra J. Braselton
Debra J. Braselton is an experienced family law attorney with a unique background and a career built around families. Debra's first career was as a certified nurse midwife at a large teaching hospital in Chicago. During her career as a nurse midwife, Debra gained a wealth of knowledge and experience with families, particularly with families in crisis. Debra's clients benefit from her experience and enjoy her unique sensitivity to the personal nature of their family law matters.
Debra handles cases involving divorce, custody, visitation, domestic violence, guardianship and adoption in Cook, Dupage, Kane and surrounding Counties. She is adept at counseling her clients as to the proper course of action and regularly handles trials, pretrial conferences, evidentiary hearings and contested motions in her cases. Debra is also a skilled negotiator - as comfortable developing and presenting a complex settlement proposal as she is evaluating and responding to a settlement proposal presented by her opponent. Whether she's handling litigated cases or negotiating settlements, Debra's skills help achieve the best possible results for her clients.
An advocate of alternative dispute resolution in family law matters, Debra was among the first attorneys in Illinois to receive training in Collaborative Law. Approximately half of Debra's divorce practice is comprised of collaborative cases and she is actively involved in the Illinois and international collaborative law professional organizations.
Debra achieves an out of court settlement in over 90% of her divorce cases, a success rate she attributes to meticulous case preparation, excellent client communication and a willingness to aggressively try the case when settlement options have been exhausted. Debra demonstrates her commitment to professional responsibility through her active involvement in local bar associations, not-for-profit divorce educational organizations and as a Hearing Board Chairperson with the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission. An active community volunteer, Debra currently serves on the Village of Hinsdale Zoning Board of Appeals and is a merit badge counselor with Boy Scout Troop 8 in Hinsdale.
Areas of Practice
- Child Support
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Family Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Nurse Midwife, American College of Nurse Midwives
- Illinois, 1994
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Rush University
- Major: Maternal & Child Nursing
- Rush University
- Major: Nursing
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State of Illinois, Registered Professional Nurse
- 18th Judicial Circuit, DuPage County, IL, Certified Child Representative
- lllinois State Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member, Family Law Committee
- American College of Nurse Midwives, Past member, Committee on Political & Economic Affairs
- American College of Nurse Midwives, Past member, Professional Liability Committee
- Chicago Area Families for Adoption
- Dupage County Bar Association, Member, Child Advocacy Committee
- Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission, Chairperson, Hearing Board
- Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois, Officer and Executive Board Member, 2005 - 2008
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Sigma Theta Tau