When disagreements over appropriate levels of child custody and parenting time threaten to delay your Illinois divorce or require a litigated outcome that you cannot control, DuPage County lawyer Debra Braselton of Oakbrook Terrace offers experienced, responsive representation you can trust. Respected by her peers, appreciated by her clients and dedicated to your mission, Debra Braselton offers comprehensive legal services for the full range of family law matters, including the important issue of protecting your children's best interests during divorce or unmarried parental separation.
The Law Firm of Debra J. Braselton, P.C., practices family law — exclusively and with excellence in DuPage County and Chicago suburbs. Our founding attorney tailors her legal skills to address your unique child custody issues and help you find long-term solutions that help your family move forward.
Debra Braselton Works For Solutions 'In The Best Interests Of The Child'
Illinois judges consider these factors when deciding which custodial arrangement serves the best interest of the child:
- The wishes of the child's parent or parents as to his custody
- The wishes of the child as to his or her custodian
- The interaction and interrelationship of the child with his parent or parents, his siblings and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interest
- The child's adjustment to his home, school and community
- The mental and physical health of all individuals involved
- The physical violence or threat of physical violence by the child's potential custodian, whether directed against the child or directed against another person
- The occurrence of ongoing abuse as defined in Section 103 of the Illinois Domestic Violence Act of 1986, whether directed against the child or directed against another person
- The willingness and ability of each parent to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing relationship between the other parent and the child
The court may appoint a guardian ad litem, an attorney for the child or child's representative, to represent the child or look out for his or her best interest in a custody or visitation dispute. Debra Braselton is an experienced guardian ad litem and is frequently appointed to represent the best interests of children when their parents do not agree and have brought their dispute to court.
If after investigation, negotiation and mediation, parents are unable to settle on a custody and visitation arrangement, these issues are presented to the court for decision in a trial in which witnesses are called and arguments are presented. The matter is out of the parents' control as the judge decides what arrangement to impose on them.
We invite you to contact us and schedule an initial consultation to discuss your family law matter. Call experienced DuPage County child custody lawyer Debra Braselton, toll free: 800-569-5371. Please see our Initial Consultation page for further information. All contacts with our firm are kept strictly confidential.