Can a court order an employer to deduct child support from the supporting parent's salary and pay it directly to the receiving parent?

Yes. I the payor spouse is a W-2 earner and not self-employed, payroll deduction is fine. Difficulty arises when the payor spouse is self-employed, earns cash income or is in a commission only job.