Can a parent get out of paying past-due child support?

Theoretically, no. The right to receive a child support payment becomes vested when the payment is due, and the receiving parent has an absolute right to the payment as ordered, irrespective of circumstances or conditions. The court is without power to enter any order with respect to a payment already due other than to enforce it.