How are child support orders enforced?

Enforcement of child support orders may be had through application to the Child Support Enforcement division of the State's Attorney's office in each county. This service is provided without charge to custodial parents who require assistance in collecting support. The receiving parent may also take action through a private attorney, or represent himself or herself in petitioning the court for enforcement.

The receiving parent may file a petition to have the defaulting parent held in contempt for his or her failure to obey the support order. Failure to comply with a support order is contempt of court, which may result in probation or a jail sentence for as long as 6 months, possibly on a work release program. Action can also be taken against the defaulter's driver's license.