What if the supporting parent is ill and can't work, or loses his or her job?

Because child support is vested in the receiving parent immediately when it becomes due, it is essential that a supporting parent immediately seek court intervention in the event of job loss or other situation adversely impacting on ability to pay support. Until a petition to modify or abate child support is filed in court, child support arrearages will accumulate which the court will not have power to erase. After filing of a proper petition, the court has power to abate or reduce the child support on the basis of a change of circumstance.